Thursday, December 30, 2010

Walking on Eggshells

Morning is a "held sacred" time for many of us. By sacred, I don't mean holy. I mean personal, set apart,completely our own, inviolable. The one time we want (and need) to prepare ourselves for each day, however peaceful or frenetic that may be...depending on our worlds. Something I have felt, no matter where I traveled, or visited or had to stay for a while, if it was in someone else's home, was the sense of needing to "walk on eggshells" when I first leave my room and enter the space of the person I'm visiting. It isn't due to any action or intent on their part, it's something I just always experience...a hesistancy, even shyness upon intruding into their private world of waking up and doing the typical morning routines of making coffee, reading the newspaper, journaling or whatever their particular habitual practice is. We all have one (or two), but those habits are usually partially unconscious as we are leaving our other world of dreams and sub-conscious meanderings, wanderings or odysseys.
Oddly enough, I don't ever feel that when someone comes to visit me, unless they have stayed too long - then that quiet resentment that is hardly noticable, creeps in just before the smile goes on the face and the cheery "Good Morning" is rung out. The little girl in me is always happy to see whoever is visiting since it's such a rare treat.
I think that reactions to intruders into our morning space is completely natural and probably common. I will be interested in getting feedback from you readers as to whether you know to what I am referring.
Evenings are different. That's the time you let your hair, your guard and your defenses down. A few sips of wine can do wonders to sidestep perimeters, barriers and yes, boundaries; but the solitude of sleep does wonders for forgiveness and even forgetfulness. The new day is always the "new day" and a chance at redemption. Visiting is a wonderful treat for both visitor and visitee...as long as one knows when it's time to leave. That knowledge is what sets the stage for another visit, because we never want to lose the preciousness of looking forward to another one.
n
Permalink(This is another transfer from my Moment by Moment blog.  I start some new material here when I see I'm getting new viewers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment